Call for artists: Design proposals and painting of select utility boxes on the Washburn campus
Washburn University, in cooperation with Safe Streets Topeka and the City of Topeka, is seeking submissions from all artistic individuals for the design and painting of select traffic control and utility boxes on campus.
This project is designed to enhance the appearance of campus and promote the identity, history, pride and spirit of Washburn University.
- Artists of work selected and approved will receive a $250 stipend upon completion of the painting and other artist responsibilities.
- There is no charge to the artist to submit design proposals.
- Four boxes on campus will be painted.
- 19th Street and Washburn Avenue (northwest corner)
- Moore Bowl (far southwest corner)
- Falley Field (west of the field; southeast of Durow Drive and Jewell Avenue)
- 17th Street and MacVicar Avenue (southeast corner) NOTE: Due to construction on 17th Street, set for May-November 2013, painting of this box will not be possible until spring 2014. A design for this location, however, will be approved in May 2013.
What you need to know
- Artists may submit design proposals for specific boxes. View photographs and information on box locations.
- Artist application
- Applications and design proposals are to be submitted digitally to email@example.com
- The deadline for submission of application and design proposal is 4 p.m. Thursday, May 2.
- Applications and design proposals will be reviewed by a committee of faculty and staff. Final approval of designs will be given by the City of Topeka.
- Selections will be made in May, with painting to begin as weather allows.
- Paint must be obtained from ColorWorks Paint and Supply, 4410 SW 21st St., Topeka; phone: 785-272-8818.
- Artists must supply their own brushes.
- Read even more information for artists
The design goal
Designs must reflect the identity, history, pride and spirit of Washburn University.
- All submissions must be original designs.
- Artists are permitted to incorporate the trademarked logos and names of Washburn University in the designs.
- View examples of trademarked logos and names suggested.
- Artists wanting to use a logo or name trademarked by Washburn must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A one-time use memo will be issued to artists granting permission for such use.
A special thanks is extended to ColorWorks for donating the primer and paint for this project.